Tuesday, October 19, 2010

You said what?

It is entertaining to watch our children learn. Especially when it comes to learning the English language. I mean, let’s face it, English is a confusing language. Actually I heard once, and have come to believe, that English is the most difficult language to learn.


So it is no wonder that my children are having a difficult time trying to communicate properly. Their most common misuses are the familiar verb tense issues like, ‘We goed to the store.“ or “He taked it away from me.” Rebekah’s most recent flub has been since she discovered contractions. Her newest one is: “I amn’t”.

“Rebekah are you bothering your brother?”
“No, I amn’t.”
“Rebekah, you need to eat your broccoli.”
“I amn’t eating that!”

It’s cute and funny --for now. She’s only five. It’s not so cute nor funny when it’s an adult who still doesn’t have a grasp of he English language. Now don’t’ get me wrong, I don’t expect everyone to be able to diagram sentences with predicates, subjects and articles. I do, however, expect an educated adult to know the difference between saying, “Give the ball to John and me.” and “Give the ball to John and I.’ Maybe it is because there has been such a big push to get people to start using “I’ in the subjective form (John and I went to the store.) that we somehow now think it always has to be “I”. But that is not always true. (Just for the record, you would give the ball to John and me.)

Some other misgrammars I have overheard are, "I don't have no shoes." or "Where's it at?".  And who really knows if you are to lie down in bed or lay down in bed? And, there is always the question if there is an"R" sound in the midle of wash. 

 But, my favorite adult flub is: “Put it on Mike and I’s porch…” Seriously?  Does that even sound right? "Put it on I’s porch"?? But, belive it or not, people, grown, educated people, really do say these things.  I actually got a wedding card that had a note from a fellow teacher that said, “You got married on Tim and I’s anniversary.” She really did write that. No joke. A teacher.

Now, I am not saying that I always use correct grammar. I make my own share of mistakes. Come to think of it the more I stay at home with children who are making mistakes I am more likely to make them also. To be quite honest, I actually caught myself saying “tooked” in front of one of Matt’s cousins who is an English teacher. How embarrassing!

No, I may not be perfect but I hope I am teaching my children the best I can with the knowledge I have. But I am sure there days that I amn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!