Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Traditions

One of my favorite musicals is Fiddler on the Roof. As many of you know, it is a story about a father trying to keep his family’s Jewish traditions passed down to the next generation. And every time I watch this great movie, I inevitably join Tevye, the father, when he belts out the song “Traditions”.
Personally, I think there is a huge need for traditions. When I was teaching in Illinois I never thought to come home for the holidays. It never even crossed my mind that I should come home to celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas. I am confident that this is because growing up we really didn’t have traditions. So now that we realize that traditions really help set the tone for the holiday season Matt and I have been trying to find some that work for us.

In the beginning we wanted to celebrate at our house with both sets of grandparents. We tried that the first year. It really didn’t work. It somewhat resembled oil and water. Lets just say that our parents are quite different and neither wanted to spend the day with each other if at all possible. Then, of course, we realized that years later Caleb’s grandparents would have other grandchildren to visit also. So that custom quickly got canned.

We have thought about making it a tradition of going to my parents for Christmas Eve and day. However, if we did that, we miss Christmas Eve service at our own church. Not to mention that we would not wake up in our own house but someone else’s. But the main concern and disqualifying reason we decided against this option was due to the fact that my parents’ are more focused on Santa and the gifts he left instead of Jesus and what he gave.

We are still trying different things that can become traditions. It is a work in progress. I have some great ideas given to me from other Christian moms. And some ideas that I came up with on my own. Christmas Eve service as a family. One special gift that night. Reading the Nativity story in Luke 2 before they go to bed. No getting up until the sun is up. Only three presents on Christmas morning. (Good enough for Jesus, good enough for you!)

Yes, I think traditions are quite important to families. It helps everyone remember something about the past generation. I hope that decades from now when Rebekah and her children are unwrapping yet another Nativity scene, she can tell the story of how her mother collected them and made them match up all the baby Jesuses. Then they can have an opportunity to share stories about me.  Just as long as she is also not telling stories about her mother standing on top of the house playing a violin belting out songs about traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!