Friday, December 3, 2010

Caleb is SEVEN!

Seven!?! I never thought I would be the mother of a seven year old. Don’t get me wrong. I knew I would be a mother. I always wanted to be a mother. I guess I never thought about them growing up. And for all of you that have been there and for all of you that will be soon, 7 is huge. It’s not like five or six. At those young ages, they are still little, moldable and precious. Not seven. Seven is big. No, it’s not halfway like nine or double digits like 10, but huge nonetheless.

As tradition, because it was Caleb’s birthday yesterday he got to be king for the day. As always in out house on your special day, the birthday child gets to choose what to eat, wear and watch. No homework. No chores. No brushing of teeth. And why not? It’s only one day. I get to make all those decisions the other 364 days of the year.

Therefore, to celebrate his once-a-year kingship, Caleb had ice cream for breakfast, lasagna (his favorite) for lunch and cupcakes for snack. Then Daddy took him on a six hour date. They went rock climbing, the Children’s Museum and McDonald’s for dinner. And, the grand finale, more ice cream before bed. He was the happiest kid on the planet.

Then, as he was telling me all about his date, well past his bedtime, he looked up at me with his toothless grin and said ever so sweetly and honestly, “Mommy, I had so much fun with Daddy. But can I just sleep in your bed tonight so I can spend time with you too?” I couldn’t resist.

So I told him to go on up to bed (before he passed out in the middle of the kitchen) and I would be right up…right after I get the games ready for your party, decorate the cake, blow up balloons, hang the streamer and wrap presents. Because those are the joys mothers get for having 7 year old boys.

Happy Birthday Caleb!  You are the most precious thing in my life.  I love you with all of my heart.  You never cease to amaze me with you brain, heart or mouth.  You are going to do great things for God before He is done with you.  I hope you had a great day and I hope you have a great rest of the year as you wait for your next time to be king.  Now, I have to go get the rest of the projects done before your parties start...

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!