Thursday, August 5, 2010

Homeschooling!

This year we decided to homeschool Caleb.  Well, actually he decided last school year he wanted to be homeschooled.  So we started the summer of with some lessons to "get our feet wet".  Each week I would pray, "God if this is what You want me to do then please make it clear that it is the right choice". 

The first week of "summer school" was--well, let's just say--horrible!  We both ended up crying and mad at each other.  It was very frustrating to say the least.   So I figured I would just try some different strategies.  I mean I do have a teaching degree.  Right?  I would just use different methods of teaching. 

Weeks went by.  Eight to be exact.  We tried schooling with Rebekah and without her.  We tried workbooks.  We tried hands-on experiments.  We took field trips to the zoo and Conner's Prairie.  We tried music and we tried quiet.  We tried different times of the day.  Some methods worked better than others but none really felt right. We were still not finding a way to get our lessons done without constantly arguing and not liking each other at times. Still I would pray that God would make it clear on how I was to homeschool my high-spirited, strong-willed son.  By the end of our trial (and trying) summer I was still unsure on how we were going to achieve this goal of homeschooling.  Needless to say, I still hadn't received a clear answer on what exactly to do.



Then we got our answer.  This week, the week before school starts, Caleb went to his grandmother's for four days.  These have been the most refreshing, relaxing and rejuvenating days of my entire summer.  I have not been stressed.  I have had time to get my chores done in a reasonable amount of time.  I have not yelled, raised my voice or even got upset.  I even potty-trained Elizabeth in 3 days! I have a sense of accomplishment.  Even Matt has commented on how my disposition is much better.  And to top it all off, Caleb called and said he was interested in "going to public school to have fun with his friends" if it wasn't too late to sign up.  No, Caleb I don't think it is too late.  I will drive to the school now.

I am so thankful that I live in a country where I have and can make choices.  I am thankful for the many choices I am given.  I am thankful that Matt stands behind this choice and backs me up 100%.  Public school may not be right for your family.  But for us, God answered our prayers and made it clear to me where Caleb can learn the best.

Now, when does that bus get here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!