Sunday, February 13, 2011

SAD

I realize that it has been a while since my last blog entry. I have an excuse. Well, sort of. I have come to the conclusion that I may have SAD. No, not that I am sad but rather that I have SAD.

Recently, I read about this new disorder in which a small percentage (up to 10% in northern regions) of the population is admitting to suffering from. It is referred to as Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD. The symptoms (according to Wikipedia, which is were I get all of my reliable information) include, but are not limited to:

“Symptoms of SAD may consist of difficulty waking up in the morning, morning sickness, tendency to oversleep as well as to overeat, and especially a craving for carbohydrates, which leads to weight gain.”

Let’s check these out…

Difficulty waking in the morning? Check. But who doesn’t?

Morning sickness? Usually check. But then again, I am usually pregnant.

Tendency to oversleep?  Double check. Tendency and desire. But I thought it was just a human version of hibernating.

Tendency to over eat? Check.

Carbohydrates? Yeah, but I thought that was to help put on that extra layer of blubber to keep us warm in the winter months. Hence the aforementioned weight gain. Duh.

But there is more…

“Other symptoms include a lack of energy, difficulty concentrating on completing tasks, and withdrawal from friends, family, and social activities.”

Lack of energy? Seriously? This is not seasonal, I do have four kids under 7!

Difficulty concentrating? What was the question again?

Withdrawal? Could it be that I just spent most of my free time with my friends and family during the holidays and need some me time as I overeat my carbohydrates?

The diagnosis continues…

“All of this leads to the depression, pessimistic feelings of hopelessness, and lack of pleasure which characterize a person suffering from this disorder.”

Well, not sure any of these are quite appropriate but that would explain why I haven’t found as much pleasure in posting my life’s stories on the internet. Or could it be that I am just too cold to get out from under the blankets to sit at the computer.

The good news is that winter has never and will never last forever. I know that an end is in sight no matter what a rodent in Pennsylvania sees or doesn’t see. And even with the enormous amount so snow and ice we have suffered through this particular year, I will press on. I will survive. I will make it. I will get through this. And you can too.

And for all of you concerned that you may have missed your opportunity to be labeled with yet another popular disorder, when the season does change, there is a spring/summer version of this same aliment for you when that time comes,  Read on…

“People who experience summer SAD (spring and summer depression) show symptoms of classic depression including insomnia, anxiety, irritability, decreased appetite, weight loss, social withdrawal, and a decreased sex drive.”

Insomnia? Great! So we go from oversleeping to no sleeping.

Anxiety? About what? That winter is coming back in a couple of months? You might just be right.

Irritability? Maybe because we have these stupid disorders and labels that everyone is throwing around.

Decreased appetite and weight loss? Well, they do tend to go hand in hand. And what other way is there to shed that extra layer of blubber we spend all winter trying to obtain? And don't forget that we have to get into our new swim suit.

Social withdrawal? In this season too? Do we get to withdrawal all year long? Maybe we withdrawal because we haven’t lost all the blubber from the winter months yet and we need to wait for the “decreased appetite and weight loss” to kick in.

And, the finale, a decreased sex drive? Oh, no, don’t tell Matt. That will just send him into yet another depressive disorder.

And I am sure we can find a disorder for that. But for now. I think all of us are normal for not necessarily enjoying the cold of winter. Well, the most of us are normal. I will check again in the spring.

Sorry again for the delay in blog postings. I will try to pull myself out of bed, from under the blankets, and away from the carbohydrates long enough to fill you in to all the wonderful events that are going on in my little world…no matter how SAD I am.

2 comments:

  1. sorry this one is so long. but just think of it as 3 in one becasue you haven't gotten to read any from me for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really miss when you don't post but you have 4 children so its completely understandable. I love every post--they are all very nice to read and inspiring-even the sad ones.. Keep them coming--when you have time of course...

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!