Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Last Sunday, because of the upcoming holiday our pastor asked everyone to shared some the things they were thankful for. So as he opened the floor for comments I heard several of the same things that I was also thankful for… friends, family and forgiveness. God, Jesus, and salvation. Husbands, wives and kids. Love. Food. Jobs. Freedom.


Then that night I asked my two oldest to write down lists of the things they were thankful for. Their lists were not only similar to each others but also to the list that I had just heard that morning in church.

Caleb’s top ten were: God, Jesus, family, Mommy, Daddy, Rebekah, Elizabeth, little brother (because he refuses to spell his name.), food and pets. And even though the two of them were not together when making these lists, Rebekah’s top ten were: Mommy, Daddy, Caleb, Elizabeth, dog, Zech, God, church, flowers and dresses.

Apparently, they too made lists that morning in Sunday School. So of course they were going to have similar lists to each other and the rest of us because that is what the teacher prompted them to write. But isn’t there anything else to be thankful for?

And even though I am thankful for all the obvious things, I also appreciate of things that would never be said in church or classroom. Things like babysitters who sometimes work for free. Or someone who truly understands your situation and doesn’t ask questions. Or modern conveniences like toilet paper, toothpaste and television. Washing machines, dishwashers and vacuums. I am thankful for vacation days spent just with me (even if we only make it to the zoo with no kids!)

No, I didn’t say any of these while sitting in church last Sunday. I fought the temptation to actually be myself. And I am sure I won’t share any of them sitting around the table eating turkey with Matt’s family. No, I will just put on my “happy” face and say I am thankful for family all the while thinking “I am thankful for the days that poop actually makes it to the potty.”

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone. Find something you are thankful for today and truly be thankful-- no matter what it is.  Now, I have to go get the ad section from the newspaper......

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!