Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sand

When we were in Florida we learned that sand is a natural exfoliate. It is great on when rubbed on your body. It takes care of dry skin and rough patches. So while we were at the beach we exfoliated often.


And as I sat on there covered in the sand I was reminded of a story about a man named Abe. By the time he was in his 80s he still didn’t have any children. Then one day God told him to go count the stars in the sky and the grains of sand on the beach. God told him that he would have as many children as he counted. (And I thought four was too many!) About a year later Abe and his wife had a son named Laughter because they laughed when they heard they were going to have a child in their retirement years.

Even though God made him count all the stars and grains of sand, I am sure He didn’t mean that Abe himself would have numerous children. Especially when he didn’t get started until he was almost 100! But rather God meant that his family lineage would span for many generations.

I have a jar of sand in our living room to remind me of the legacy I am leaving for my future generations. That even though Matt and I have only four children, our descendants will be plentiful. What will they remember about us? What kind of impact will have on them? What will our children tell their spouses about us in 20-30 years? What will they remember about their childhoods? What kind of grandparents will we be? What will be said at our funerals? What will people remember about us?

I am not sure what kind of legacy am leaving. I pray that it is a good one. I hope my kids remember all the fun times we had and all the lessons I have taught them.  No, I don’t have all the answers. All I know is I want to do the best I can with what I have.

Only time will tell what kind of legacy we left.  But for now I have to get all of this exfoliate out of my van floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!