Friday, March 11, 2011

It's My Party!

Why do we “hope you have a great day” only if it is your birthday? Would it be OK if I told someone to “have great day” even if it wasn’t their birthday? I mean… I am sure we do. The are lots of times I tell a friend to have a great day. But for reason everyone tells you to have a good day on your birthday.

And what about those well wishes? What is the appropriate way to send them these days? Are we supposed to send cards? Call our friends early in the morning to see who can be first to sing? Send a message or post on Facebook? What if Facebook didn’t remind you that it is someone’s special day would you have even known?  Would you have even sent the greeting anyway?

Yes, you guessed it. Yesterday was my birthday. I spent it like any other day. I volunteered in my children’s classrooms in the morning. I had an amazing lunch with my mother. (It was actually the best meal I have had in ..well, as long as I can remember.) I got to spend some time with my husband before the kids got home form school. Then last night some friends came over and brought me my favorite dinner and chocolate cake. What else could a girl ask for?

In case you are wondering…I don’t feel any older. And even though I am approaching the dreaded 4-0 soon, I still think I am a lot younger because my kids are so young. You see when my mom was this age, I was already 20 years old and in college and she had been a grandma for quite some time. Conversely, my oldest isn’t even into the double digits and I still have one nursing! So age is really a mind set. If you ask me.  And there is no reason to be ashamed of your age.  There is nothing you can do about it.  (Now your weight is another story.)  So I rejoice in the fact that I am another year older.  It's better than the alternative.

So thank you everyone who wished me a good day. No matter if it was in the mail, on the phone or here on my computer. Your wishes came true and it was a good day. Now, go and have yourself a great day too--birthday or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!