Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Never Say Never

There are three things I KNOW for sure in this life. No make that four. My friend, Tina will never get a teaching job. Another friend, Ann, will never have premarital sex. Finally, Dale and Mary Lou will never get a divorce. How do I know these things? I know Tina’s abilities, strengths and weaknesses. I know Ann’s integrity and belief system. Mostly, I know Dale and Mary Lou’s commitment to each other.


Then I went back for a visit and learned that I don’t know as much as I thought. Tina had just started her third year teaching in the school system I was employed. Then, as I was leaving her classroom, I ran into Ann and her bulging belly. She was due to have her baby in a couple of months but her wedding wasn’t for another year. I stood there in utter shock. How could I be so wrong about what I thought was right? I was hesitant to finish my trip out of fear of what Dale and Mary Lou might tell me.

Thankfully, my dear friends, Dale and Mary Lou are still together. I at least got one thing right. But, sadly, we discovered over the weekend some friends of the McKaig family are filing for divorce. A couple that none of us thought would ever venture down that road. A couple who love the LORD. A couple that has been married for decades and have grown children. A couple that is no longer a couple.

It makes me wonder--and quite frankly, scared--who could fall into this viscous trap that the Devil has laid out for us. Anyone. That’s who. If we do not guard against the enemy daily, he will find a way to wedge between any couple. No matter how strong they think they are. No matter how much they think they love each other. No matter the circumstances. God hates divorce, therefore, the Devil must love it.

Oh, but wait. There is the fourth thing that I know. This one I do know. I know that God is Love and because of His Son’s sacrifice we are forgiven. No matter what we have done. Lied, stolen, cheated on a test, skipped church, swore, sinned in anger, had a child out of wedlock, or even filed for divorce. No matter the circumstances. God loves you and forgives you.

Pray. Pray for the forgiveness that God wants to give you. Pray for His strength the next time you are tempted to mess up again. Pray for your marriage. Pray for your spouse. Just pray. Prayer can do wonders. I am sure prayer played a huge role in how Tina got her own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!