Saturday, May 12, 2012

Life Goals


I remember the day so well. I was working part-time at a car dealership. I walked through the shop to clock in for my last couple of shifts. As I walked passed everyone I realized no one noticed. Not one person mentioned. I doubt any of them had even heard. I am sure none of them even cared.

You see, less than 24 hours prior I had accomplished a goal that many of them have never nor will ever achieve. Most of them haven’t even attempted to obtain it. I had just graduated from college. The first in my family. With a 3.8 GPA. While working 3-4 part-time jobs. But I did it. I officially earned a Bachelor’s degree.

I am not sure what I expected from my co-workers. It is not like my education effected their lives at all. I guess I was just expecting some form of recognition. A pat on the back. A job well done.

My next life changing event was slightly different. I got married. I had my dream wedding including the horse-drawn carriage. Many took part of the celebration. This time everyone had heard. Everyone knew. Numerous friends and family acknowledged this life goal. I was even introduced to the congregation the next day by my new uncle with my new name.

The only problem is that pulling off an impressive wedding is not the same as making it to the “death do us part” part. Marriage is hard work. There are days that I need someone to realize the struggle and give me compliments for staying in for the long haul. Sometimes a pat on the back can go a long way in making it happily ever after.

Last week I accomplished yet another life goal. I ran a half marathon. (Now before you go judging me on only running a half marathon, let me inform you that it is still 13 very long miles. So unless you can do it, don't judge. And as my new bumper sticker clearly states: “13.1 because I am only half crazy!”) But I did it. I can now mark that goal off the list. (Mostly because I will never run one again!) This time I had several individuals encouraging me along the way. Literally and from home. I crossed that finish line and that was the goal.

Now I only have one more finish line to cross. And much like the marathon one, it seems like it will be forever before I get there. Some of the things that I will do before I finish will be noticed. Some will not. I anticipate many days being difficult and tiresome. I just hope not all of them. Some people will support me. Some will not. But my only desire is to cross that line and hear “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

Because it doesn't matter what degree I earned, who I married or how many miles I ran, It's about doing my best and pleasing Him. Not only will He give me a well deserved and much anticipated pat on the back, I will also get my crown of life. And then I will know it was all worth it.

Go run your race. Do your best. Accomplish your goals. I will see you at the finish line. We can share stories and battle scars. Then we can take our crowns over and place them at the feet of the One who deserves them.

I just hope His aren't as blistered as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!