Saturday, January 14, 2012

Long Live the King!

Author's Note:  This blog was written last October when we went on vacation.  I, however, just found it in the "needs to be posted" folder.  Enjoy.

Dagnabit!!! I brought the wrong one. How does this happen?

After weeks of planning, preparing and packing for vacation, I thought I had everything our family of six would need. I filled suitcase after suitcase full of clothes for the week. I made sure everyone had clean socks and underwear. I grabbed all the toothbrushes. I remembered to get a collection of “travel activities” including but not limited to various movies to watch, books to read and pages to color. We were all set.

At the last minute I decided I didn't want to take my big bulky study Bible. Instead I found another one and took it off the shelf. So upon choosing which blessed book to bring on our journey I simply snatched the smallest one.

I realize that there are several people around the world that have never owned and will never own their own Bible. I, however, am truly blessed in that we possess various versions and numerous copies of God's Word. We simply have dozens copies of the Holy Writ.

So what are the chances that I would end up hundreds of miles from home. Miles away from my piles upon piles of my beloved Bibles—to discover that the one I selected was The King James Version. Really? I brought the most difficult one to read.

Is it still Holy Scripture? Yes. Will it have all the verses I need? Yes. Was it written in English? Well..that is debatable.

And trust me when thy tellest thou that when thou readist words written for the king of James in a language that was used centuries ago, thou doesn'tist want to readist any furthermore.

I think I would have been better off if I would have retrieved our Santa Biblia. I can translate “Hesus te amo” much easier than this.

Long live the King! (But, I, for one, am glad that King James is dead.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!