Friday, December 2, 2011

My Nonstop Eight-Year-Old

From the minute his feet hit the floor in the morning until the second he crawls back into bed that night he is nonstop. He is in continuous motion. Constantly on the go. Perpetually moving.

At 7:00 he comes trotting down the stairs to greet me with one of my favorite request, “Mommy, can we cuddle?” Of course we can Honey. Then after some quality time waking up in my arms, we open his Easy Reader Bible and start our day reading God's Word.

After some questions and reflection it's time for breakfast. And we are not talking about just a bowl of Fruit Loops here. In the morning my lightweight can eat up to four bowls of cereal, a banana and toast with honey on it. He can really pack it away. Where he finds a place to put all that food in his 63 lbs frame I am not sure. All I know is that he can eat.

Then he is off to school. He literally jumps onto the bus with such exuberant force everyone knows he is there. Then, as it has been reported to me, the ceaseless moving, talking and hyper behavior continues. He hums, walks around and sometimes sings out loud while doing his morning work. He enjoys school and gets great grades. He is in the high ability class which is great because it challenges him. He is a wonderful student overall. But I am sure the teachers would love it if we could find a way to tone down the disruptive part of his behavior.

Then it's time to come home. As soon as he is off the bus he is off to play. He romps, frolics and runs around until it is too dark to even see the ground. While he is still in motion, we work on homework. When it is finally time for dinner he eats like a grown man. Then I remember that is what he is becoming. He is no longer my little boy. And if he is going to burn all of this energy with his never-ending activity he's going to need to get his strength from somewhere.

By bedtime he is still raring to go and begs to get to stay up and watch some TV with Daddy. However, I don’t think it has anything to do with the show on the talking box. I think he is more interested in spending some quality time shoulder-to-shoulder with this dad.

Finally to bed but not before some more intriguing questions in hopes to prevent the closing of the door. As he falls asleep I wonder if his brain is still running miles and miles a minute like it does when he is awake. But when he does finally give in and let slumber take over, his body is out for the count and nothing will wake him. Well that is nothing but the clock reading 7:00 so we can start the process all over again.

He is mine. He is loved. And today he is eight!

Happy Birthday Boo! You have turned my life into a roller coaster ride. I never know which way we are headed or what turn is coming next. All I know is this has been the ride of my life. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 2010

June 2010
Four little monkies all lined up in a row!